App Store Optimization – ASO
Discover our best resources on ASO and increase your organic app downloads (and the paid ones).
why App Store Optimization matters
App discovery is challenging, and it’s important to leverage the fact that search is the most common way apps are discovered. So how can you get your app discovered ? Then downloaded? Meet App Store Optimization.
There are some actions that you can take so potential users can find your app easily and actually download it. ASO has indeed two goals:
– Giving your app as much visibility as possible in the app stores –
– Convincing people that your app is worth downloading –
You can achieve this by optimizing your app store pages through the name of your app, its metadata or the screenshots you use. ASO also goes beyond that though, and is about making sure you have a great app and doing everything you can to help your users (and get the ratings you deserve).
APP STORE OPTIMIZATION is a process. It’s not a magic recipe. It has a lot to do with market research and what your competitors do (you’ll often want to be found for the same keywords!).
This therefore means that ASO is not something you can do once and be done with. You wish. No, App Store Optimization is something that needs to be done on an ongoing basis.
our aso resources
App Store Optimization Cheat Sheets – Apple App Store and Google Play Store
- The App Developer’s App Store Optimization Cheat Sheets [PDF] – These ASO Cheat Sheets for iOS and Google Play give you a way to quickly visualize all the key points regarding the optimization of your app store pages. These up-to-date cheat sheets also contain external links to the best ASO resources on the web. Don’t miss out on this one.
- Apple App Store vs. Google Play Store videos [CheatSheet] – The goal of an App Preview and of a Google Play Store video are very similar (improve conversion on the app listing and get more engaged users). But their formats and constraints are very different. Learn more with this post and handy cheat sheet.
Apple App Store ASO
- App Name and Keywords – An up-to-date post with tips on how to best define your app name and keywords on the iTunes App Store. Don’t choose those lightly, and make sure you make the right choices (+ learn and adapt).
- App Icon Design – Your app icon, along with your screenshot, is a critical design asset and one of the first things App Store users judge your app on. Template and inspiration links included.
- App Screenshots That Sell – Because they appear directly in the search results and on your app page, your app screenshots play a huge role in your app being downloaded or not. They allow you to communicate visually your app’s main benefits. So find out how to get them right!
- How to Improve your App Description – Not everyone is going to (fully) read your app description. But think about those who do (and especially the first lines). You want to convince them, right? Here’s how to do it.
- How to Improve your App Ratings – On the App Store, within the app, on the web…Make it easy for users to reach you. Listen to feedback, and consider using a SDK to facilitate interactions with your users.
- App Previews – Video lets you communicate clearly and quickly what your app is all about and what is magic about it. This page gives you our best resources to help you leverage video on the app stores to get more downloads.
- How to increase conversion by getting your app store videos right – Make the right choices for your App Preview and Play Store videos, so you can leverage them for increased app store conversion and higher LTV.
Google Play Store ASO
- How to Optimize Your Google Play Store App Details Page – Search is even more important on the Play Store than on the App Store: 80% of high quality organic downloads! Find out more about Google’s algorithm and how to optimize your Play Store app details page so your app can be found.
With the resources above you are well equipped to start doing App Store Optimization right. Now you can start optimizing your app store details page to both be discovered on the mobile app stores and increase conversion once potential users find your app.
Keep in mind the differences between the App Store and the Play Store, always test your assumptions, experiment and keep what’s working. ASO is not something you do once: it’s a process.
Bookmark this page: it contains links to our best ASO resources, and we keep adding new ones. If there’s one insight or interesting tip that you got from this content, please share the love!
what our clients say
“We saw a 15% boost in Google Play store conversions after implementing the animation video you guys made for us in the Google Play store.”
Marketing Manager @Vivino
Looking to increase conversion
or acquire users?
We work with you to produce the best-performing videos for the right channels.
We use motion graphics design and live action videos. And lots of love.