Mobile Video Monthly #10 July 2019: FB feed ad aspect ratio, Play Store autoplay videos
Mobile Video Monthly
September 3, 2019
Get top insights
Subscribe to our blog newsletter
We’re back with a new Mobile Video Monthly, where we discuss the changes and trends regarding video in the mobile app space. It can be news about ASO, UA or other ways video can be leveraged by developers and publishers.
Subscribe to our newsletter to make sure you don’t miss any of our blog posts. Check out the previous editions here:
- Mobile Video Monthly #9 – June 2019 edition: new ads on Instagram (Discover) and App campaigns (Safari iOS)
- Mobile Video Monthly #8 – May 2019 edition: YouTube ad formats, Line stories and amazon
- Mobile Video Monthly #7 – April 2019 edition: iPhone X App Previews, Snap Audience Network & More
- Mobile Video Monthly #6 – March 2019 edition: Facebook Ad Library, Amazon video ads and new ASA countries
- Mobile Video Monthly #5 – February 2019 edition: Facebook ad changes and Reddit App Installs
- Mobile Video Monthly #4 – January 2019 edition: Reddit and TikTok Video Ads
- Mobile Video Monthly #3 – December edition: Video on Instagram, TV targeting on YouTube
- Mobile Video Monthly #2 – November edition: Pinterest ads expand, AMP Story Ads and more
- Mobile Video Monthly #1 – October edition: new YouTube ad ratios, conversion windows and more
IGTV changes leading to future new ad possibilities? – July 10
IGTV hasn’t generated the growth and engagement expected just yet, but two main changes over the last few months have been making it more appealing to content creators:
- Content creators have been able to publish 1mn preview videos to their Instagram feeds;
- Instagram started allowing creators to publish horizontal videos on IGTV.
It seems that these changes have helped get YouTube creators to also publish on IGTV, which would eventually lead to a new channel Instagram could monetize.
Smaller aspect ratios for video on Facebook feed ad – July 19
Facebook announced on its business blog that starting August 19th the Facebook feed ad format changes.
The two main changes are that advertisers get fewer lines of text but also that the maximum portrait aspect ratio (without the creative being cropped) becomes portrait 4:5.
Up until now, advertisers could leverage ad creatives in portrait 2:3 to maximize screen real estate for their Facebook feed ads (making it the go-to-ratio). This change brings more uniformity between Facebook and Instagram feed ads, since the aspect ratio was always limited to portrait 4:5 on Instagram.
For some advertisers this change might require some serious efforts if they were mostly targeting Facebook ads, and for some it will be “just” a matter of pulling out their portrait 2:3 creatives.
Here are our recommendations if you’re advertising across the Facebook inventory:
- Feed ads – portrait 4:5
- Story ads – portrait 9:16
- Facebook Audience Network – landscape 16:9 and portrait 9:16
Head over here for all of Facebook aspect ratio requirements.
Autoplay video ads in the Google Play Store – July 26
It looks like in Google Play 16.0.15 the “suggested apps” video ads will start appearing higher in the feed, and might will most likely be autoplaying as well.
This would make this already prime placement even more interesting. As a remainder, advertisers need to go through Google App campaigns (formerly UAC).
Users will be able to disable autoplay.
There is no information showing that all videos (meaning also promo videos) will now be autoplaying.
That’s it for this month! Have we missed anything important related to mobile video? If so let us know in the comments below!